Vegan Brownies For Beginners
So far 2018 has been all about acceptance and trying new things — one of which, for me, is the vegan diet. This summer, I decided to give it a go for a month. I discovered some incredible recipes online, my favourite of which was the vegan brownie.
‘LOVINGITVEGAN.COM’, WHERE THE RECIPE ORIGINATES, IS A WEBSITE THAT BECAME MY SAVIOUR THROUGHOUT MY TIME BEING VEGAN.
They have hundreds of incredible recipes to choose from, and if there’s one I’d recommend, on your path to your nutritious, vegan diet, it would be this.
– 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
– 1 cup (86g) Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
– 2 cups (400g) Sugar
– 1 tsp Baking Powder
– 1/2 tsp Salt
– 1 cup (240ml) Vegan Buttermilk
– 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
– 1 cup (240ml) Vegetable Oil (I used olive)
– 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a square baking dish with parchment paper. Or you can use non-stick spray.
2. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Prepare the vegan buttermilk by squeezing half a lemon into a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 1 cup line.
4. Allow to sit for a minute to curdle.
5. Add the buttermilk, coffee powder, vegetable oil and vanilla. Mix well.
6. Pour the batter out into a square baking dish and smooth down.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes. After the 30-minute period, test it periodically with a toothpick until the centre comes out mostly clear.