Kent Football 4’s defeated by Christ Church in Varsity Shootout

Photo coutesy of Canterbury Varsity

Kent’s Football 4’s suffered Varsity heartbreak at the Kent Pavillion, as they lost 3-1 in a penalty shootout in their game against Christ Church 4’s. This was after Kent (Green) and Christ Church (Red/Blue) played a back and forth 3-3 match in normal time.

There was a decent crowd attendance, yet, despite the motivation from the overwhelming amount of Kent fans, it was Christ Church who started better. The Christ Church number 5 latched on to a through ball and tucked it past the Kent keeper to make it 1-0.

It went from bad to worse for Kent not long after as Christ Church made it 2-0. A corner from Christ Church eventually found its way out to their number 8 on the edge of the box. He curled a shot into the top right-hand corner which the Kent goalkeeper could not get close to.

After this Christ Church got complacent and allowed Kent back into the game. The Kent striker number 45 seized on a through ball and just managed to squeeze it into the net to make it 2-1.

The game became more even after this and Kent soon had more to cheer about. A free kick was lofted into the box from about forty yards out. The Kent number eight managed to head it past the Christ Church keeper in a crowded box.

At half time it was 2-2. Christ Church had surrendered the lead they built up through a lack of concentration. Many Kent fans were wondering if they were going to witness a remarkable comeback.

However, in the first ten minutes of the second half Christ Church reasserted their lead. Another scramble in the box somehow led to the ball sneaking into the net to make it 3-2 to Christ Church. About ten minutes later Kent number 10 got one-on-one with the keeper but was unable to kick it over him.

photo coutesy of Tarini Tiwari

Just as it looked like Kent were out of it again, they scored with 15 minutes to go to make it 3-3. It came from another set piece. The initial header was saved by the Christ Church keeper, but he parried it straight down to another Kent player. It was then volleyed in from close range.

As the final whistle grew closer, the Kent striker missed a golden opportunity from six yards out. The game was sent to go to a nervy penalty shootout. Both teams scored their first penalties. However, Kent’s captain missed the second penalty. Christ Church squandered another chance, as their third penalty taker dragged his penalty wide.

Unfortunately for Kent their fourth penalty taker hit the bar, which allowed Christ Church to seal the 3-1 shootout victory. An unfortunate end to a valiant performance from the Kent Football 4’s.

Featured Posts


Share your thoughts