Students evacuated from Darwin accommodation after kitchen fire


Image Courtesy of: Tom Nice

Students were evacuated and fire engines called after a microwave set fire in Darwin College last Friday.

The fire, which occurred at around midnight, engulfed a kitchen in student housing with smoke, resulting in two fire crews with protective gear to storm the building.

No one was hurt in the incident but students reported having to manually activate the fire alarms.

Jamie Christie, a first year Economics student, said: “We went to get a mixer from the kitchen above and all we could smell was smoke.

“We went to investigate, went downstairs, and saw the microwave on fire.

“When we saw the smoke, we were completely surprised that the fire alarm wasn’t already going off – the room was full of smoke.

“We pulled the fire alarm and started evacuating the people in F block.”

It is believed that students only began to evacuate after the alarm was manually triggered.

A spokesperson for Kent Fire and Rescue said: “Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called on 23 October of a microwave set alight at student accommodation in Darwin Road, Canterbury.”

“Two fire engines attended and crew wearing breathing apparatus removed the appliance, before using a high-pressured fan to clear the property of smoke.

“The cause is believed to be accidental.”

The University has been approached for a comment.

Featured Posts

Comments

Share your thoughts

First published in 1965, InQuire is the University of Kent student newspaper.

All content © 1965-2019 InQuire Media Group.

Contact |  About us  |  Advertising  |  Alumni  |  Archive

kent-white-logo-on-dark-blue-2018-1896x1
KU-logo_full-colour_web-01-2014.png