Christmas morning muffin recipe
By Estelle Curiel
(Image courtesy of Unsplash)
This year is going to be a very different Christmas for all of us. So, here to help things feel a little more normal, is one of my favourite Christmas bakes for you to enjoy making – and, of course, eating! I have a chosen recipe that is fun and easy to make. You can either make them alone for some much needed me-time, or have fun with your housemates or family!
Nigella Lawson’s Christmas Morning muffins
I made these for the first time last year and they were such a hit, I ended up making three more batches before the new year! To make it easier for myself, I use orange juice instead of satsumas like the original recipe calls for.
Here’s what you’ll need
· 250g plain flour
· 2½ tsp baking powder
· ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
· 100g caster sugar
· 1 tsp ground cinnamon
· ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
· Zest of 2 satsumas or 1 orange
· 75ml orange juice
· 125ml whole milk
· 75ml melted butter, left to cool slightly
· 1 large egg (at room temperature)
· 175g dried cranberries
· Some demerara sugar for the topping
· Edible glitter
1. Start by preheating the oven to 200°C or 180°C Fan.
2. Line a 12-bun muffin tin with muffin papers or silicone ones. I love to use festive muffin tin liners!
3. Add the dry ingredient into a large bowl and stir to combine. If you are doing this in advance, leave the zesting till Christmas morning.
4. Lightly beat the wet ingredients until just combined.
5. Pour the liquids into the dry mixture until somewhat combine – lumpy batter makes fluffy and light muffins!
6. Fold in the cranberries.
7. Put the batter in the muffin tin. I like to use an ice cream scoop so they are all the same size.
8. Mix the demerara sugar with the edible glitter and sprinkle on top of the muffins.
9. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
If you prep these the night before, combine the dry ingredients, minus the zest, and line your muffin tins. You can also make them 3 days in advance if you store them in a airtight container. They are really nice just warmed up for 5 mins in the oven.
If you try any of our recipes, let us know how you get on via our Instagram page - @inquirekent.