Fake-away series: Kaspa's at home
(Image courtesy of Unsplash)
By Laura O'Callaghan
This week I thought I’d bring you a sweet treat from the king of desserts: Kaspa’s. Grab that whisk and practise those flipping skills as this week we make crêpes.
There’s no denying that Kaspa’s is still delivering, but usually when you get them delivered the chocolate has smeared all over the box and the pancake has gotten cold and soggy. Plus you are usually paying an extortionate price for just the one sad crêpe, this recipe will guarantee at least ten good crepes (minus one or two for practise). The recipe I plan to show you is the popular Kinder Bueno crêpe but you can mix this recipe up to add your own favourite toppings or your go to Kaspa’s order. This recipe is super easy and quick and is perfect to make as a group. Gather your housemates and have a pancake competition to make light of being stuck indoors with each other for the past month. Grab a few bowls and fill with toppings and ta-da a pancake party in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Kinder Bueno Crêpe Recipe
Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins
100g plain flour
300ml semi-skimmed milk
1tbsp vegetable oil
Pinch of salt
2 Kinder Bueno Bars
2 Kinder eggs
1. Put the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and mix together.
2. Make a well in the centre and crack the eggs into the middle.
3. Add a little of the milk and begin to bring the mixture together, keep adding the milk until you have a thin smooth batter (it will look watery but it will make the perfect thin crepes we are looking for).
4. Heat a frying pan and add a little bit of the oil to cover the pan.
5. Ladle in some of the batter to cover the bottom of the pan.
6. Leave to cook for about 30 seconds or until you begin to see the edges crisp up.
7. Get flipping. If you’re brave enough first loosen the pancake from the bottom of the pan and then go for it! If not as brave loosen the pancake and then flip with a spatula. Cook for another 30 seconds.
8. Keep doing this until all the batter is gone.
9. For the toppings half the kinder eggs and remove the toy. Place the chocolate in a small bowl and microwave on 30 second bursts until the chocolate has melted (remember to stir the chocolate after every 30 seconds to stop it from burning).
10. Break up the Kinder Bueno either by snapping it into squares or halving the bar using a warm sharp knife.
11. Grab a plate and begin your masterpiece. I like to add some of the melted chocolate in the middle with some crushed Kinder Bueno then fold the pancake in half. Add the remaining Kinder Bueno and drizzle with the remaining chocolate.
This is a gooey chocolate heaven so definitely try it out and add your own touch to it! Let us know what you think of this recipe over on our Instagram page @inquirekent.